A blog about technology, trends and learning

More Connected but Disconnected than Ever?

September 3, 2013 · No Comments · Integrating technology

I recently came across this video. A powerful message sits in it and for me, it resonated with some of the issues I have been noticing with technology.

As an advocate on the benefits of technology, I also feel that I need to balance this out with some of the disadvantages of technology. One that I certainly have noticed in the last 5 years or so is how many people opt to engage in virtual worlds rather than real-world experiences (I am guilty of this too). Let’s face it, with the lures of Facebook, games, emails, texts all at the tip of your fingers, it is all too easy to disengage in those few fleeting seconds of boredom. This comes at a price however. We are robbing ourselves and our loved ones of connecting with each other in real-life. All those special moments in your life with your friends or family that allow you to look back and smile.

As an educator, I am a big believe in developing social skills within the classroom. Yes technology has a place and can be a valuable tool but it certainly shouldn’t be used all the time. I recently was working with a teacher who used laptops constantly in class to the point that she didn’t know what to do with a new student who wouldn’t have a laptop for a week. Are we becoming too dependent on technology? I just never thought that part of my job as an IT Coach would be to convince teachers to use technology less in the classroom.

My message is simple, yes we need to use technology effectively in our lives but it certainly doesn’t mean use technology constantly. ¬†Build time in the day for your students or family to unplug and connect with each other and build meaningful relationships and enjoy real-world interactions.

Tags:·

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.